Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Math Center Fun

This is the second week my class has been doing math tubs.  And so far, so good!  I did some reading up on math tubs from The First Grade Parade.  I went to Ikea last weekend and bought new "math tubs" with numbers on them.  They are so stinking adorable!  This week we are focusing on measurement using standard, and non-standard units of measurement.  I won Reagan Tunstal's Measurement Unit!  Yeah! She has lots of great hands on centers in her unit.   

 This year we were given three i-pads for our classroom.  My students absolutely love them!  We used a measurement ap to practice measuring different animals.  

 Here is a picture of a student using pipe cleaners to measure the calendar.  Both the students and I are enjoying math tubs.  We begin our math block right after our reading block.  It's a great way to transition from one subject to another, and the students quickly learned the procedures, so they can begin math even faster!  
I had to go back and edit this post.  I found a couple of my students looking really cute while they were measuring each other.
 I also brought my boy's legos to school, and we traced and measured them in our math journals.  









No comments:

Post a Comment