Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Earth Day

Happy Earth Day!  We celebrated Earth day today by planting a tree in our school.  A local company Dot Food was very generous by purchasing and bringing the tree to our school today.


We have been working on my Emeraldlicious unit. If you are interested in taking a look at it here is the link.   I have used different portions of my unit the last couple of years depending on my students' needs. 
Earth Day with Emeraldalicious Literacy & Math Unit


One of our writing prompts is "If I had a magic want I would . . ." This student wrote about recycling tires to make a race care.  The paper on the right is a picture he drew on his wand handle.  

One of the books I am currently reading is Word Nerds.  I am really trying to focus on vocabulary.  My unit contains vocabulary flashcards.  Students matched up the word, image, and definition.  

After they matched the vocabulary cards students placed the cards in the correct category.
This is the first time I used images of the vocabulary words to teach students their meaning.  One of the words in the story was "cape."  I taught students the two different definitions cape can mean.  I was so stinking excited when one of my students saw a cape on the water in their guided reading books and asked if that's what it was. I loved seeing him make those connections and use what he had been taught!

No comments:

Post a Comment